Re: Petition for help: console pdf viewing

on Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 08:34:33PM +0100, Frederik Vanrenterghem (frederik@maui.kotnet.org) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I stated to this list before, I'm experiencing some problems viewing
> .pdf files in console mode. I'm trying to do this with fbi (in it's man
> page is stated this is possible through the help of
> convert). Unfortunately, this doesn't work.
>
> So my question is: could someone try to view a pdf file in console mode,
> and send me, if succesfull, his/her configuration for fbi and convert
> (version number, ...)

There are some pdfto... utilities which can be used to extract text from
PDFs,  if that suites your needs.   In some cases, text locking
restricts direct ability to extract text, you may have to go through an
intermediate ps2txt stage.  PDF files consisting of image pages won't,
naturally, be viewable.

Other option is to dump to printer.  Not sure if this is directly
possible through acroread or xpdf, though a pdftops filter should allow
this.