Re: New to debian, q about pkgs "on hold"

Most likely the packages in questions have dependencies which did not
previously exist.  'apt-get upgrade' will not install them, but if you
instead use 'apt-get dist-upgrade' you will get the held packages plus
any required dependencies (assuming that the dependencies are
available).

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen