XFree86 4.0.1 configuration

I just recently installed Debian 2.1r2 and am trying to get everything up and running. I just
installed XFree86 4.0.1 off of a CD I have. Everything video card related seems to be working
fine, but it's having trouble with my keyboard.

Here's what I did:
Installed the binary distribution for glibc20 using the Xinstall.sh script. I then used the
command 'XFree86 -configure' to configure the X server. Everything was configured except for
configuring my mouse and keyboard. I then tried running 'XFree86 -configure X86Conf.new' just to
see what would happen (I'm not 100% sure that was the command) it generated the log file
XFREE860.LOG (attached). I then changed my mouse settings in X86Conf.new (attached) from:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "auto"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

to:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
EndSection

I then tried running 'XFree86 -configure X86Conf.new' again. This time X started but froze up. The
screen froze on the default background, with the cursor in the middle of the screen. There was
also about an inch of blackspace around the edges of the screen. After trying everything I could
to break X I rebooted, and the log file was updated to XFREE861.LOG (attached). The main problem
seems to be loading the XKB keymap. Please keep in mind that this is my first encounter with
linux, so assume I know nothing asides from basic commands. Also let me know if there is any list
that might be better to consult.