Re: To setup display for NeoMagic 256XL on Sony VAIO PCG-XG29

   Hi,

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, jimmy sandhar wrote:

> Hi all,
> Does anybody know or have done this before, setting up display for Sony VAIO
> PCG-XG29. Please let me know if so.

   You should have a look at the Linux Laptops site. There's
documentation about the Sony XG28:

Linux Laptops:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

http://www.bluecoat93.org/tech/linux-xg28.html ^H^H^H
scrath the above, the guy did not configure his graphics card correctly.
A search on Google gave me:
http://www.de-srv.com/linux/sonyF450.html
This page has good instructions.

   Since I have a Sony with the same graphics card so you can ask me if
you have trouble. I can also give you my SVGATextMode config: I do
80x60x9.

<rant>
Isn't it time that we have a good database on how to configure hardware
for Linux! The F450 documentation partly duplicates that of the F490,
and the XG28 got things wrong. A laptop/desktop is nothing but a
collection of hardware components, so just point to the proper page for
that component.
</rant>

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
                  In a world without fences who needs Gates?