Re: HELIX and potato

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 09:19:40PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 11:47:56AM -0800, Rob Hudson wrote:
> > lynx -source http://go-gnome.org | sh
>
> we have been through this before, don't EVER run anything like that.

Excuse my ignorance, but after reading lynx's man page, I still do not
understand what is actually happening in a command like this or let me
put it this way: I do not understand how it can help to install
helix-gnome or why it has to be run as root.  As I understand it
lynx is passing the html-source from go-gnome.org to bash.  Why would
one like to do it and why is it a security risk?  Is it because it is
run as root?

Johann.
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336 / 023 55 11 568
     "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and