Re: tnt2 vanta and dell 21"

It seems Andy responded to a question by Anders Lennartsson:

>There are those who would have you believe that Anders Lennartsson wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying to configure X on a PII 300 Mhz dual proc with a Creative
>> TNT2 Vanta PCI card and running Woody.
snip
>> The problem is for instance that if I click on the desktop the menu
>> (fvwm menu) comes up with an offset to the right
>> and is unstable and has stripes. The system however thinks it is located
>> close to the mouse pointer so there is some
>> guessing to choose the correct line etc. Bigger windows case even more
>> trouble.
snip

>Does the picture wrap around one side of the display, or is it
>correctly centered?  Is it 'wiggly'?  Does it have banding
>(horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes of varying colors)?  Is
>there a bright stripe on either side of the display? Is it
>rectangular with perpendicular sides, or does it bow in or out on the
>sides or appear as a trapezoid or other non-rectangular quadrilateral
>(i.e. a 'leaning' rectangle)?

In response I can say that:

The picture does not wrap around. It is what I would call wiggly
and has horizontal banding (each being one or a few pixels wide jumping
back and forth sideways)
no bright stripe on either side
Its regtangular and if only an empty desktop is shown, it looks quite
ok.

Further, I have since discovered that the file /var/log/xdm.log contains
the following
lines

snip

(II) NV(0): Supported VESA Video Modes:
(II) NV(0): 720x400@70Hz
(II) NV(0): 640x480@60Hz
(II) NV(0): 640x480@75Hz
(II) NV(0): 800x600@60Hz
(II) NV(0): 800x600@75Hz
(II) NV(0): 1024x768@60Hz
(II) NV(0): 1024x768@75Hz
(II) NV(0): 1280x1024@75Hz
(II) NV(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
(II) NV(0): Supported Future Video Modes:
(II) NV(0): #0: hsize: 640  vsize 480  refresh: 85  vid: 22833
(II) NV(0): #1: hsize: 800  vsize 600  refresh: 85  vid: 22853
(II) NV(0): #2: hsize: 1024  vsize 768  refresh: 85  vid: 22881
(II) NV(0): #3: hsize: 1280  vsize 1024  refresh: 85  vid: 39297
(II) NV(0): #4: hsize: 1600  vsize 1200  refresh: 75  vid: 20393
(II) NV(0): #5: hsize: 1600  vsize 1200  refresh: 85  vid: 22953

snip

Where the last section indicates that the 1600x1200 mode is not yet
supported.
I guess this closes my question.