update with dselect and dpkg fails

Hi!
I tryed to update my installed packages with dselect and during the
update procedure dpkg reports that i should convert may Berkeley 1.85
database to 2.0, because the two version are not compatible! This
massage was displayed during the installation procedure of perl
(update from perl 5.004 to 5.005).

After that happened it got an error that the package
kdelibs3_4%3a2.0-final-3.1_i386.deb could not be configured because
of an dependency problem: i should fix the problem and run install
again. But i don't know what i should fix!? The rest of the
installation and configuration process dpkg displayed a lot of
error massages.

Ok, i tried to fix the dependency problem, but i found no problem and
i started the installation process again: but dpkg reported that
the file /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure was not found and "E: write
error - write (32 Broken pipe)" was displayed. dpkg instruced me to
fix the problem and run install again!

I do not know what i should fix! Is there a problem with the package
database? Where can i find the database and what should i do with it?

Please help me,
Bernhard