Re: i am hacked atm.. what's better thing to do?

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 21:17:21 CST, Phil Brutsche writes:
>> The syslog is probably the best place to find how he got into your
>> system.  But it might have been tampered with.  If you think it's a
>> fairly recent attack, look around your directories a bit with an `ls
>> -lart` to show all recently-changed entries.  Script kiddie tools are
>> easily found this way, though better hackers can hide their tracks.
>
>Especially since they can just do a "rm -rf /var/log" - yes I've seen that
>happen.

That´s why it´s almost always a good idea to not only keep your logs
locally, but to also log to another machine, preferrably on another
platform administered by someone (trusted) else. That way the attacker
would have to gain access to a second machine, most script kiddies will
find that too challenging...

If you look around some time, you´ll probably find somebody, so you can
backup each others logs. I do that with a friend of mine, I´m with
Debian/Intel, the other machine Solaris/<well, what else...>Sun.

just a thought,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /