Re: XFree86 4.0.1 crashes hard

Brad wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 08:10:23PM -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> >
> > I've got an s3 virge card, viewsonic monitor.  Come the upgrade to
> > XF 4.0 I've got to re-create the XF86Config file -- no biggy, I ran
> > xf86config to get a base version, and tweaked it to fit.
>
> Same here: S3 Virge/DX, different monitor though. xf86config worked
> fine, except that it generated XF86Config while the server searches
> first for XF86Config-4 (as installed by the packages), so i had to copy
> it over.
>
> The file, with some comments stripped, is attached.

Yes!!!  I *finally* have XF4 running 1280x1024 at 16 bit color!  It was your
attached config that got me there!  Thank you!!!

Backstory:  I recently made the plunge to XF4.  Under 3.3.6 I had my 4 meg
S3 Virge/DX running at that resolution and depth just fine.  When I went up
to XF4 I was getting terrible redraw static.  XF4 wasn't uasable until I
backed down all the way to 1024x768 at 8 bit color.

But when Brad's message came through, I found the key in his attached config
file.  It was:

> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "S3 ViRGE/DX"
>     Driver      "s3virge"
>     #VideoRam    2048
>      #Option "xaa_benchmark"
>      Option "fifo_moderate"
>      Option "pci_burst"
>      Option "pci_retry"
>     # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
> EndSection

The three Option lines that are uncommented were the key.  I uncommented
them in my config file, restarted X, and lo and behold I have 1280x1024 at
16 bit color running just like it used to!

So if anyone else is battling static on the screen during redraw, you might
check for these lines.  I can't guarantee that it'll work, but it worked
here.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.