XFree86 4.0.1 crashes hard

Well, I've been futzing with this for a couple days now, and no luck, so
I'll see if anyone here has any suggestions.

I've got an s3 virge card, viewsonic monitor.  Come the upgrade to
XF 4.0 I've got to re-create the XF86Config file -- no biggy, I ran
xf86config to get a base version, and tweaked it to fit.

But when I run xinit to test it the the machine crashes hard.  Console
doesn't respond, no response to pings, etc.

I've tried several things: using the vga driver rather than s3virge,
taking out some of the modules & options that xf86cofig set, making sure
that I had all vestiges of xf 3.x removed, etc.  But I haven't been
getting anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>