Re: [debian-user] GeForce2 w/ XFree86 4.0.1 [ a little new ]

There are those who would have you believe that Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> >--[Jonathan Wheelhouse]--<whsjnd@globalfreeway.com.au>
> > On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 11:01:46PM -0800, Cisco.Addict wrote:
> > > Sorry, is there any way i can get my GeForce2 GTS 64mb working in XFree86 4.0.1
> > > (Im hopeing to be able to play Quake3)
> > I've got a GeForce2 GTS 32mb; I followed tomshardware instructions (+
> > others) to install and now I can play the quake 3 arena demo (looks
> > great but is really gory).
>
> I have a GeForce2 MX, but I still don't get 3D running. At first, kdm
> crashes unless there is also an libGL.so.1 pointing to the _old_ libGL.so.

You might have a conflict among your libraries somewhere.  Go through
all of the instructions that came with the drivers again and verify
that you've done everything, especially the steps that explain which
libraries you need to remove.  Compare dates and file sizes with the
drivers you compiled.

> Then, when starting X, the screen is black for ~8 secs with some blue
> flickers, before it switches to the right display mode (you can see an "old"
> image there for a short time). That's strange, but doesn't really hurt.

That's (more or less) normal.

> But when I play anything with eg realplayer, it isn't accelerated - the CPU
> usage goes up endlessly, and it's still slow (I'M just playing the
> realplayer credit intro, so nothing too complicated).

You could also try some OpenGL screensavers, or go to
http://www.linuxgames.org,

> I don't get any error messages in XF*log (except the one you noted, but DRI
> is a driver architecture not supporting nvidia, so I guess it will stay
> unused if you load it). Yes I do have the NVdriver compiled, although I got
> some warnings (I don't remember too precisely right now).

I don't think you're supposed to get any warnings.  You could try
compiling the drivers again and posting the warnings.

> > But doesn't seem to hurt anything. quake3 is really quick; looks good
> > so I assume 3d performance is OK.
>
> Okay, are there any .debs for Quake3, or where do I get it?

http://www.lokigames.com.  I'd recommend buying from a store, even if it
costs a few dollars more.  That way, you not only support the
development of games on Linux, you also help justify shelf space for
Linux software.