Re: Compiling kernels

Timo Benk <510064901071-0001@t-online.de> writes:
TB> Hi,
TB> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
 MS> The problem is that my kernels refuse to install. I have
 MS> downloaded the kernels from ftp.kernel.org, unpacked
 MS> them. Configured them using menuconfig,
TB> If I understand you right you downloaded a tarball from kernel.org and no
TB> deb file. If so you have to do a:
TB> make dep
TB> mek modules
TB> make modules_install
TB> make bzImage

It's far easier and cleaner to install the Debian kernel-package
package, untar the kernel source tarball, configure it with your
favorite variant on 'make config', and then run 'make-kpkg
buildpackage' to build Debian source, headers, documentation, and
kernel image packages from the source tree.  Installing the image
package will prompt you to run lilo.  If you decide you want a
new/different/better kernel, you can just install a different
package.  If you decide you don't want the one you've installed, you
can remove it as you would any other Debian package.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell