Re: tnt2 vanta and dell 21"

There are those who would have you believe that Anders Lennartsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to configure X on a PII 300 Mhz dual proc with a Creative
> TNT2 Vanta PCI card and running Woody.
>
> X works in 1280x1024, but both xfree 3.3.6 xserver-svga and xfree 4.0.1
> xserver-xfree86
> have problem with stable picture in 1600x1200. The card should be able
> to do this with 85Hz vertical
> according to the documentation. In fact it is only 220Mhz pixelrate of
> the possible pixelrate of 350MHz.
> Even my old Millenium II can take the Dell 21" D1626HT to 1600x1200 but
> with less colors.
> The problem is for instance that if I click on the desktop the menu
> (fvwm menu) comes up with an offset to the right
> and is unstable and has stripes. The system however thinks it is located
> close to the mouse pointer so there is some
> guessing to choose the correct line etc. Bigger windows case even more
> trouble.
>
> Anyone got some input or experience of such a combination? What is the
> quality of the xfree86 drivers for this card?
> Should one try to compile the drivers from Nvidia's ftp site?

Does the picture wrap around one side of the display, or is it
correctly centered?  Is it 'wiggly'?  Does it have banding
(horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes of varying colors)?  Is
there a bright stripe on either side of the display? Is it
rectangular with perpendicular sides, or does it bow in or out on the
sides or appear as a trapezoid or other non-rectangular quadrilateral
(i.e. a 'leaning' rectangle)?