Newbie sound help

Hi all!

I've got my new potato system up and running, Gnome works fine and it
all looks great! Haven't fired up NT on my home box for 3 whole days!

I'm starting to feel braver now, and guess it's time to start to look
at sound. From what I've been able to find browsing the web, and from
reading various magazines, I will need to re-compile my kernel before
I can use sound (my Xpert7 machine uses an on-board Crystal chipset).

Could someone please point me at a newbie-oriented site that takes me
through the steps in language that even I could understand?

T.I.A.

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller
"To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa."