Re: How stable are the XFree86 4 packages?

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 01:47:21AM -0000, soluzar75@lineone.net wrote:
> OK, I know that they're not really reccomended for the average user
> yet, but I wanna try them out so bad! :-)
>
> I've got a K6-500, 64Mb ram, Voodoo 3 w/16Mb, and I'm running a
> mostly potato system. What I would like to know is: Would I be
> better off trying to install the whole of woody, or building the
> packages for potato, or just waiting until the next stable release?

I have a Voodoo3 2000, and X 4.0.1 runs just fine for me... in 2D.

If you play 3D games with the Voodoo though, you might want to wait.  I
seem to have the new DRI drivers working (according to the stuff X spits
out on startup), but can't really test it because all the 3D stuff I
have is made for the older glide2.  Also, for the DRI drivers, you need
a kernel compiled with DRI and the tdfx module (2.4.0 test kernels
include that stuff, but I haven't seen it in 2.2.x kernels and don't
know if there's any kind of patch for it).

And as for glide2, when I set that up and load the good ol' 3dfx module
(which required booting back to my old 2.2.17 kernel to test since it
doesn't work with 2.4), after running one of the test programs X locks
up... the whole computer.  And I have to reset and sit through fsck.

Anyway, if you are satisfied with Potato and X 3, and you don't
specifically need the DRI stuff, then I don't think you have any
compelling reason to upgrade outside of any desire you might have to
simply be running the newest stuff.

--
Tom
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice."