How stable are the XFree86 4 packages?

OK, I know that they're not really reccomended for the average user
yet, but I wanna try them out so bad! :-)

I've got a K6-500, 64Mb ram, Voodoo 3 w/16Mb, and I'm running a
mostly potato system. What I would like to know is: Would I be
better off trying to install the whole of woody, or building the
packages for potato, or just waiting until the next stable release?

Opinions, personal experiences and the like (pref. with same
graphics card) would be much appreciated.
Richard Taylor: <soluzar75@lineone.net>
                <soluzar@hotmail.com>
                ICQ: 16952744