Re: "non-US/main" section

milenium moon <milenium2b@yahoo.com> writes:
mm> I come from Indonesia. I want ask you about
mm> licensing/limitation of use from "non-US/main" section
mm> that include in Debian 2.2 Official CDs. If in my CDs
mm> contain "non-US/main" section (application/software)
mm> is legal or ilegal if I instal to my computer (on one
mm> computer) and how if I want install to more than one
mm> computer, is this legal or ilegal ?
mm>
mm> Please explain to me, this section confiusing for me.

Files in non-US/main have free licenses (e.g. GPL, Artistic, &c.) but
can't be directly exported from the United States, generally because
they contain cryptographic software.  You should check your local
restrictions on the use of such software, but beyond that there should
be no legal issues with duplicating the CDs or installing the software
on multiple machines.

(Files in non-free have various restrictive licenses such that this
condition probably doesn't hold.  Files in contrib are free, but
generally require non-free software to usefully work.  An official CD
set should only contain free software, so this shouldn't be a problem.)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell