XFree86 4.0.1 and kernel 2.4.0-test10

Anybody else having trouble with this combination?  While running
2.4.0-test10, startx hangs after showing a plain gray screen sometime
before completing successfully.  At that point the system reponds to
neither Ctrl-Alt-Backspace nor Ctrl-Alt-Fn, so I hit the reset button.

Note that the exact same configuration works great with 2.2.17 (thanks
for all your hard work Branden!).

My hardware is a Matrox G400 video card and an Abit KT7-RAID motherboard.
If it would be helpful to see either my kernel configuration or X
configuration or both, I'll be glad to provide them.

Thanks for your help.

James