RE: PPP Configuration

On 04-Nov-2000 Marco Herrn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to configure my internet connection on my potato system via
> wvdial
> an pppconfig, but neither of this works correctly.
> When running wvdial, it starts the connection and holds it, but I
> cannot
> access the internet (I tried it with netscape and lynx).
> When running pon, it dials, but immediatly hangs up, dials again, and
> so on.

Check the modem's initialization (sp?) command. When I changed mine to
reset to factory specs (AT & F2, for me), everything worked fine. Also
check if the authorization stuff is correct.

> And another question: The dialing tone with  both tools is much too
> loud.
> How can I adjust the loudness of my modem?

Use an AT command (AT & L, I think). You could pass it in your script.
 - Nick -
ncook@idt.net
Q:      What do you get when you cross the Godfather with an attorney?
A:      An offer you can't understand.