Re: Opera for Linux

Thanks to all  those who have  replied either to
the list or on my personal mail. Finally decided
to give it a try.  Downloaded the  static binary
from the Opera site (Ver 4.0b1). Run it for over
2 hrs right now.

Initial impressions ... not that bad at all (but
being a beta release, many things  don't seem to
work).

Pros :

  o Reasonable download of 2.5 mb tarball. (The
    dynamic tarballs/ debs are smaller but they
    need qt-2.2 installed).
  o .deb available !
  o Single executable file (about 5.8 mb)
  o Simple shell script install/ un-install
  o Less resource hungry than Netscape/ Mozilla
  o Much faster than both
  o Clean intuitive interface
  o HTML rendering excellent. Graphics good.
  o No crashes in last 2 hrs of constant use.
    ... perhaps too early to say !

Cons : (some stated in the README itself)

  o Non-GPL (binary-only distribution)
  o Needs libstdc++ version 6.1, and therefore
    not expected to work on slink
  o Printing to printer does NOT work
  o Some preferences don't work, though lot of
    customisation facilities available
  o Window settings is not saved
  o No Java or plugin support
  o Fullscreen mode doesn't work properly
  o Scrolling a zoomed/ scaled page doesn't
    work properly
  o More when I find out more ...

With so many things  amiss in the  beta version  it
seems unfair to ask for regn fees after the  30 day
trial. Otherwise for a beta, seems quite usable for
non-fancy browser requirements even in the  present
state ....

As the README file states "Expect these to be fixed
soon" ! Once these rough  edges are smoothened, may
surely be worth it.

Putting it to the list for general info ...

USM Bish