XFree86 4.0.1 and TrueType fonts

Greetings --

Did the XFree86 upgrade last night. Wasn't too bad; if I hadn't
mis-remembered the video card in this box, I think it would have been
seamless. As it was, I had to do some reading and playing around to
get /etc/X11/XF86Config set up the right way.

Once I got it working, however, I was quite impressed. It's noticeably
faster than XFree 3.3.6 on window movement and screen redraws, even
with the old 4 MB Trident card I've got.

The one thing I had trouble figuring out was my fonts. I've got a slew
of various TrueType fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetype. I was using
xfstt to serve them via port 7101, but from what I can gather, the
Right Way under the XFree86 4 is to use one of the TrueType
backends. I had

    Load        "freetype"

in my XF86Config, and I added the directory as a FontPath, but I
still didn't have access to those TrueType fonts.

Reading a bit between the lines in the docu, I figured out that I
needed to do a 'mkfontdir' in my TrueType directory -- but 'mkfontdir'
didn't seem to want to work.

Turning to Google, I found
<URL:http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/newbie/2000-June/000017.html>,
which lead me to ttmkfdir, which I downloaded via
<URL:http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttmkfdir/>

I already had the freetype2 and freetype2-dev packages installed, so
getting ttmkfdir to build was not too hard -- I had to add
'-I/usr/include/freetype' to the CFLAGS line in the Makefile, and then
'make' built the binary.

I then ran 'ttmkfdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ > fonts.scale', which
built the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files.

However, upon restarting X, I still can't see any of my TrueType
fonts.

Does anybody out there have a clue to spare on this issue?

TIA,
john.

- --
           [ John S Jacobs Anderson ]------><URL:mailto:jacobs@genehack.org>