Re: installation file

Miten Mehta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to install debian on 486.  I am not sure
> which file to download and start from scratch.  The
> docs guide on installation media but donot know what
> file exactly i need to download and start working.  I
> went to an http site in USA (north east) but was
> confused.  Here is site:
>
> http://ftp.opensource.captech.com/debian/
>
> downunder that tree which file I need?

The doc at this link should answer most of your questions, particularly section 5.4.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install

Alternatively, using the link you provided, you'd next want to click on 'dists', then
'potato' or 'stable' (which should take you to the same location), assuming you want
the stable version, then 'main', then 'disks-i386', then 'current'.

If you have a partition that will remain DOS/Windows (or zip, etc), you can just grab
'base_2.2.tgz', 'linuz', and 'install.bat', and 'loadlin.exe' from the 'dos-utils'
folder. The 'base_2.2.tgz' contains most of the floppy images you'd need, but it's a
big file that won't fit on a floppy, thus the need for an available DOS partition.

If you're not keeping a DOS partition, and will be installing from floppies, you'll
need 'linuz', 'rawrite2.exe' (from the dos-utils folder to write the files to
floppies), and from the 'images-1.44' folder (assuming you have 1.44MB floppies),
you'll need the 'base-?.bin' files, the 'rescue.bin' and 'root.bin' files, and one or
more of the 'driver?.bin' files (it's been too long since I've done a floppy
install). You'll run 'rawrite.exe' from DOS which should ask for a file name; you
tell it 'rescue.bin' and put in the first floppy. Then you repeat this process for
the remaining floppies ('root.bin', then 'base-1.bin', then 'base-2.bin', etc). Use
good floppies!! If anything goes wrong during the install about not being able to
read a floppy or a file or etc, replace the floppy and re-rawrite it. I've had to go
through as many as four floppies for one specific floppy image before I got one that
worked.

Hopefully this'll get you started.

Kent