PS/2 mouse (Hewlett packard name on mouse) works with gpm ...not with X11

Ok I have a PS/2 mouse with HP name on it. I have checked the plug
and it definitely has 6 pins in it. Now when I type startx
he mouse pointer appers on the center of screen but as soon as
I move the mouse the mouse pointer seems to disappear and gets
stuck on the edge of the screen....it does move but it seems
like it is moving so fast and the original mouse point
shaped like

            __
           |\
           | \
              \
               \

is no longer visible. Instead it looks like an inverted
arrow

       \|/
    ------------

to be stuck at the bottom and to the side boundaries of my screen.

XF86Config has
Protocol "ps/2"
Device "/dev/mouse"

where /dev/mouse is a softlink to /dev/gpmdata

my gpm.conf file has

#  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)
#
#  If mouse response seems to be to slow, try using
#  responsiveness=15. append can contain any random arguments to be
#  appended to the commandline.
#
#  If you edit this file by hand, please be aware it is sourced by
#  /etc/init.d/gpm and thus all shell meta characters must be
#  protected from evaluation (i.e. by quoting them).
#
#  This file is used by /etc/init.d/gpm and can be modified by
#  /usr/sbin/gpmconfig.
#
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=