Alternate method (was Re: Presentation software)

The nearest resembling Power Point would surely be
Star Office. If you are using your own  system for
presentation this is quite good enough.

The problem which I have faced is not  in actually
preparing the presentation, but during the time of
delivery of the presentation at external facilities
(where I tour for lectures/ seminars/ talks etc).

Most institutions cater for projection systems and
allied facilities typically  configured on Windows
based systems (for the predominant .ppt crowd) and
that too on differing versions of Win thus  making
version compatibility of the .ppt file an issue.

To keep such presentations completely system inde-
pendent, of late I have started  using plain HTML.
Graphic images are edited through gimp and linked.
Clicking a GIF arrow on each screen  brings up the
next "slide" like in a .ppt presentation  (without
animations though). Using frames,  effects  can be
created which cannot be done in .ppt! You can also
use any colour or GIF for a background as in .ppt.

If you are not conversant with HTML, any wp which
can save in HTML like Abiword or  Word Perfect is
more than enough. Netscape  composer is  suitable
as well. In all of these Fonts, colors,  bullets,
tables etc can be done in a WYSIWYG environment.

Works quite well. The zip file that  I carry  with
me is  definitely more  compact than corresponding
ppt presentation of the same thing.

The only  "drawback" is the  frame of the  browser
hanging around when the  presentation is made.  In
Windows there is a program  called  HTML2EXE which
converts HTMLs to stand alone EXE (thus eliminting
browser requirements). Surely, if  this system  of
HTML presentations becomes more popular,  somebody
would come up with a similar thing for  Linux some
day !

Posting it to the list to generate a concensus for
non-proprietary computing (regarding which  all of
us are aware) ... and with the hope that  somebody
with programming skills capable of  taking on such
a project is listening !

USM Bish