Re: GPL and software I have written

> Greetings!
> I have a dilemma, and I expect this to end in a flame war, but here goes...
> I am a computer science student, and I also work as a system administrator.

Gee that sounds familiar :)

> For one of my classes, I have written an e-commerce package.  It is written
> in C using GCC, it uses Mini-SQL, and runs on Apache as a CGI program.  My
> employer has expressed interest it this particular piece of software (my
> e-commerce package).

Ok

> I have issues with my employer that cause me to not want to merely
> hand over my work.

Did you write any of it on company time?

> I have never released/published any software that I have written, so I
> am treading into new territory.  Therefore, I have read through the
> GPL, and I think I understand, but I would like confirmation. Since I
> am not modifying any existing software, I am creating new software, I
> can charge for the new software.  This could be a license fee or
> something.

Perfectly within your rights

> I, of course, cannot and would not charge them for GCC, Apache, or for
> that matter Linux in general, except to the extent that I provide them
> a distribution (I burn a CD for them and/or install it on a computer).

And they could just as easily get someone else to provide it to them for
free.

> Mini-SQL has it's own license (NON GPL) that they would have to
> purchase separately (I developed this as a student, so I am not
> require to pay money for a license, but they would as a commercial
> site/use).

Perhaps you could find a way to make the eCommerce package to work with
another SQL server, ie MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, Oracle, etc.

It would certainly increase the likelyhood that your program would be
useful to someone.

> In essence, I am providing them C code, which they can compile and
> execute. Am I in the ballpark or have I gone off the deep end?

I think you're in the ballpark.

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D  7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc