Re: /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin?

Krzys Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> I  have /root/  symlinked  to /home/krzys,  so my .bashrc  et al  get
> sourced  by root  as  well. Should  I  be worried?   I understand  the
> privileged status of root, however, given  that 90% of my time on this
> machine is  spent tweaking  it (and not  writing my thesis),  I become
> root  about a  hundred million  times  a day.  There is  sudo, but  my
> /etc/sudoers  is  getting  pretty  long  and some  things  like  'make
> install'  can't really  be done  with it  (I don't  want 'make'  in my
> /etc/sudoers).  All this  means that  it's nice  for root  to  have an
> environment similar  to my  own, but I'm  willing to  weigh compelling
> arguments against that,
> -chris

My sudoers file is basically just
  hubert ALL=(ALL) ALL

If you want root to have a similar environment, but with a few differences, you
can always just wrap key assignments in some sort of test on `whoami`.  (I'm
not that great at shell scripting, so I'm not even going to try to give an
example.)

Hubert