Oracle 8i Release2 - DB creation

(Followup from the post a few hours ago about problems with installing Oracle 8iR2:)

I'm now trying to create a DB by script instead of using the dbassist creation.  After saving the script and running it, it stops at a password prompt.  So I went through the scripts, and on the second command issued (from $ORACLE_HOME/assistants/dbca/$ORACLE_SIDrun.sh) it wants a password, the command being "connect internal".

As well, upon first running svrmgrl, I get an ORA-03113 error (end-of-file on communication channel).

Again, can anyone help me with this?

(I realize that this question is more Oracle-oriented than Debian-oriented.  If anyone takes offense to this message (the fact that it's on the wrong list), I do apologize.  I just haven't had this problem on Solaris 2.8 or RedHat 6.2.)