Re: 3dfx.o -- SOLVED!!!

Hello,

Juergen Fiedler wrote:

> One question, if I may: Is the kernel that this module is working with installed from
> the 2.2.17 kernel image deb or did you compile it from the kernel sources? It seemed
> to me that the fact that I installed the sources, but tried to run the module with
> the precompiled kernel might have caused the problem described by you (and
> experienced by me).

The kernel I am using is 2.2.17 from woody.  Potato comes with
2.2.17pre6.  I had to upgrade to the newer kernel in order to get the
newest debian ALSA to work with my SB Live!.  So anyway, yes you have to
get the kernel source (and probably headers) and compile the 3dfx-source
against that (I think you have to link /usr/src/linux to kernel-souce).
Even going from 2.2.17pre6 to 2.2.17 breaks the 3dfx module.  In
addition, the kernel image I'm using is the precompiled one available
from woody, so installing that kernel deb, along with the sources deb
and possibly the headers deb using apt-get (a few other things might
need upgrading too) along with a fresh 3dfx-device-source worked for me
as I described in my last posting.

Good luck!
David Bellows