Re: gnome-name-server

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 05:00:56PM -0500, Debian Ghost wrote:
hi,

> Hehe, I feel like I just stepped into the star ship ent:) What is a CORBA
> and what is an orb?
:D
ehm yeah how to say it shortly and clearly......
CORBA is what is called a middle ware, a service layer that lays between
different applications, furnishing some services and hiding the exact
mechanisms of their functionality.....

so personally i use CORBA to make distributed programs, each object that
i have communicates to the other objects through normal object calls, as
if there was nothing between them. In reality the objects may be on
different machines, and all calls are redirected through what is called
the ORB, a sort of invisble communication channel.

So i did easily achieve distribution (in fact i didn't noticed anything)
using this system to do transparently the actual real work......

Now CORBA is able to do much much more, e.g. offer services, allow
dynamic bindings of objects etc...... and e.g. to propose a service, you
have to publish it somehow, the first level of publication is to bind
this service to a name and propagate it through a nameserver.....
(next time ask me what a trader is :D)

> So gnome is a nameserver?
nope..... ignome is a desktop manager, gnome starts among others a CORBA
nameserver, gnome is a system that uses CORBA, and thus needs among
other a nameserver.....

> I'm still totally confused as to what the gnome-nameserver is.
ok....
when you say telnet host.somedomain.atld
then your request a nameserver to return you a reference (in this case a
numerical address giving a unique link to the service/host you requested), to the
host in question, making you able to interact with that host....

change the table in the nameserver and another host will respond in
place of the first host.....

CORBA work the same way....:
an object asks for 'browser', this request goes to the CORBA-nameserver,
this server looks into its tables to look if there's an object called
'browser' and returns its reference (configurable you can even configure
the system to actually instantiate a certain object if it is needed), so
that the object may use this object....  (making you able to use a
gnome-browser, or any other entity, conforming to the gnome-definition
of a 'browser')

ehm hope this was of some use, and allowed to clear something up :D

--
ciao bboett
bboett@earthling.net