Re: root file system

Quoting Art Edwards <edwardsa@thuntek.net>:
> >> I'm noticing that my root file system has filled up. I'm having a very
>
> >And what do you have on you root-partition? /var peharps?
>

> As you will see from another post, /var is under root. I've been looking
> very hard there and I can't find a culprit. I have looked in most
> directories. Can you give me an idea of where, outside of mail, things
> in /var get big?

Here's a generic way to find out:

$ cd /
$ du -shx *  # Summarise disk usage for this filesystem
$ cd <large-directory>
$ du -shx *  # ...and repeat as necessary.

Once you've found the culprit, consider assigning a partition to
it, copying over the data (in single-user mode), removing it from
the root filesystem, then mounting the new partition onto where
the old data was.

Cheerio,

Andrew Stribblehill
Systems programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England