how to test hardware acceleration / GL / utahglx?

OK, I'm extremely confused by this hardware GL thing.
My card is an ATI Xpert 98 (aka "Rage"), so presumably it has it?
Will utahglx  support it? Sometimes  they say they do,  sometimes they
only claim  to support  matrox g400. What  is the  difference between,
say, libutahglx and  mesag3 and libglide and so on. Why  is it so hard
to play quake under linux compared to dos?
Finally, I've got  some utahglx debs installed, how  do I test whether
the hardware acceleration is working?
-chris