Re: Multiple X consoles on LINUX

debian-user restored to recipients.
reply-to set to list.

Please don't cc: me on list mail.

on Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 08:37:18PM +0300, Jarkko Niemi (jin@sci.fi) wrote:
> > >  > I would like to get multiple X consoles on my LINUX PC.
> > >  > I'm able to switch to a different console by <cntrl><alt><F1-Fn>,
> > >  > but I'm unclear how to get xdm get running on all the consoles.
> > >
> > >  I played with this briefly, could point you in a direction though I'm
> > >  not sure it's the right one.
> > >
> > >  Look at /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.  You may be able to add additional
> [snip]
>
> > 	I just started up 6 x-sessions with:
> > startx -- :0 vt7
> > startx -- :1 vt8
> > startx -- :2 vt9  etc.
> > 	I dont use xdm, but the docs say edit /xdm/Xservers:
> [snip]
>
> Great, I tried that one day, but hosed up somewhere. And after some
> cooling after several days, I tried again, when browsing these mails.
>
> It worked:
> My settings are this way, I don't use any xdm style stuff.
>
> My wife has "standard settings", so her X is in vt7.
> I have this alias in ~/.bash_profile
> 	alias startx='startx -- :1 vt8'
> So My X is always in vt8
>
> to easy things further I have one global alias in /etc/profile
> 	alias x='startx'
> So it needs fewer keystrokes to go X
>
> I think this must be at XConfig script so it's configured automatickly, or
> in easily located FAQ somewhere. I think every Home Box needs this setting.
> It's frustrating have to quit game just that other family member wants to
> "do something quickly" in X.

You can always start a fresh X session from console with

    $ startx -- :<displaynumber>

I gave some thought for a while to coming up with a script to see what
displays were currently active on a system and find a free one.  One way
to do this is to check for the currently open X sessions under
/tmp/.X11-unix/

You shouldn't have to close one X session to start another unless you're
terribly low on system resources (usually memory).

> Using xdm saves virtual text consoles to other jobs, but in other hand
> it's very handy to see those error messages in text console if that
> program/game doesn't start even if it's clicked from menu.

Actually, your default GNU/Linux configuration has 64 VTs, numbered
1-64.  You can switch to them with "chvt".  You can run commands on them
with another command, I forget precisely what at the moment.  You're
normally only running getty or mingetty on the first six VTs, this is
configured in /etc/inittab.