Re: ISDN info (for UK)

> Giving up on ever seeing ADSL (too far away from the exchange, screw you
> BT!) I'm installing ISDN as my best hope this side of the next millenium.  I
> know a lot about modems and nothing about ISDN so I'd appreciate some advice
> on what ISDN card to insall for use in England.
>
> These are issues (using that word the way God intended, not the way
> Microsoft perverted!) which I can see I need to resolve:
>
> 1) compatiblity between modems is always a problem - I have two modems which
> work fine with one ISP each and abysmally if I swap them over.  I doubt this
> is an issue with ISDN cards or is it?

I believe it is not an issue since the ISDN is, as far as I know, a more tight
spec. But why not check this with your ISP?

> 2) Linux hardware support - clearly the Howto is going to be the bible but
> is there a "recommended" brand of ISDN card for Linux?

I do not know about any recommended one. You might check the isdnutils for the
supported cards. I believe the passive cards that are supported by the Hisax
module are the cheaper and thus more popular.

> 3) Linux software - does pppd still apply (I use wvdial) or does one have to
> use something else?

Probably not because it is quite evil to use ppp over ISDN. Yet there is
something similar, at least for the user: ipppd. As for wvdial, the isdnutils
provides similar functions.