Re: ipchains and netfilter on 2.4.0-test9

Hi,
> cool - i'd like to do this until i get a chance to sit down and learn
> netfilter.  i assume i can simply cd into /usr/src/linux-2.2.17/wherever and
> do a modprobe -a ipchains.o?
>
> what is the appropriate module?
If you want to stay with iptables you have to compile a module for your new
kernel, but iptables + nat isn't that different, see below...
> > > i'd like to learn how to drop packets coming from a particular host -- is
> > > there a netfilter howto yet?  i didn't see anything on LDP.
> >
> > There is one on Debiandiary (or a link to one) and there are some ready-made
> > iptables scripts.
HOWTO:

http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/unreliable-guides/packet-filtering-HOWTO-1.htm

I changed to a 2.4-kernel 3 weeks ago. It wasn't too hard to change my
ipchains-script to iptables  (3-4 hours to rewrite it and get the idea of
what is possible now; concerning my more geriatric than vetust brain ...)

MH

--
(Dr.) Michael Hummel
mailto: mh@seitung.net