Re: dpkg won't install (Internal Error)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Will Day wrote:

> > # apt-get -s install php4-mysql mysql-server
> > Inst libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 [base-config ]
> > Inst libstdc++2.10-dev [base-config ]
> > Inst g++ [base-config ]
> > Inst libc6-dev [base-config ]
> > Inst locales [base-config ]
> > Inst libc6 [base-config ]
> > E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration
> >
> >If this is actually an error in one of the packages, rather than dpkg
> >itself, it sure would be nice if it printed the package name it's having
> >problems with!

> I installed a potato a few days ago, upgraded it to woody shortly
> thereafter, and was very impressed.  Today I installed another potato, and
> immediately tried to upgrade it to woody, and had a similar problem.  As

This is a odd interaction between libc6 and APT's sequencing code, there
is a bug against libc6 to get the issue fixed so that potato to woody
upgrades work again..

In the mean time there are a couple options.. Probably the simplest is to
do 'apt-get -s install libc6' then take all the packages listed as 'Inst'
and install them by hand using dpkg with a single command.

Or you could try the experimental 0.4.1 APT from
http://klecker.debian.org/~jgg/apt

Or just wait for a new libc..

Jason