Re: dpkg won't install (Internal Error)

A short time ago, at a computer terminal far, far away, Paul D. Smith wrote:
>I have a vanilla potato system I just installed.  Now I'm trying to get
>a few packages from woody.
>
>I was able to download the packages, but they won't install and I don't
>understand the error message:
>
>If I use -s, it does a bit more before failing:
>
> # apt-get -s install php4-mysql mysql-server
> Inst libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 [base-config ]
> Inst libstdc++2.10-dev [base-config ]
> Inst g++ [base-config ]
> Inst libc6-dev [base-config ]
> Inst locales [base-config ]
> Inst libc6 [base-config ]
> E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration
>
>If this is actually an error in one of the packages, rather than dpkg
>itself, it sure would be nice if it printed the package name it's having
>problems with!
>
>Anyone have any thoughts?

I installed a potato a few days ago, upgraded it to woody shortly
thereafter, and was very impressed.  Today I installed another potato, and
immediately tried to upgrade it to woody, and had a similar problem.  As
best I can tell, it's an issue with installing woody's libc6; that seems to
be the commonality with these two situations and in all the other messages
I found in dejanews about it.

I tried several times to get libc6 to install, strace'd the apt-get but
couldn't find a problem, and then tried to revert back to potato versions
of things.

In the process, what I ended up doing was installing potato's libc6
(actually, I think this was a later rev than initially installed with
potato, downloaded from potato/updates on security.debian.org).  _Then_,
resetting the paths to woody and installing woody's libc6 _worked_.  After
that, everything else seemed to go okay.

--
Will Day     <PGP mail preferred>     OIT / O&E / Technical Support
willday@rom.oit.gatech.edu            Georgia Tech, Atlanta 30332-0715