Re: NDS Corporate Edition for Linux - Looking for help

I'm a former Novell sys admin. A lot of people don't realize it, but NDS is a mature technology.
Microsoft's "Active Directory" has about 10 years of catching up to do.

If Novell says only RedHat 6.1 and 6.2 are supported, don't use Debian, or Slackware, or
SUSE, or whatever for this NDS thing. Just use what what they tell you. Otherwise, when
you need support from Novell, they'll ignore you.

You might be interested in the server editions or corporate editions of Red Hat. Novell might
support one of these. Each license can cost over $1000. Check their web site for more info.

BTW, good luck on your business,

Andrew
ahagen@clam.rutgers.edu

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:10:33 +1100, Craig Law wrote:

>I'm not sure whether this is the right list to make this posting and if not any direction to the correct list would be appreciated.
>
>I'm currently a Debian user and love the purity of the distribution and especially apt-get. I'm working on a project to setup
Debian servers to run NDS Corporate Edition for Linux as well as Zenworks for Desktops 3 (both Novell products). I'm an
experienced user of Zenworks and love what it does for controlling a users Windows environment and distributing applications
throughout our organisation. I'm now looking to setup a company where we replace Netware servers with Debian servers (more
stable, easier to use and no OS licensing fee) and run NDS Corp Ed for Windows workstation authentication and Zenworks for
Desktops 3 (and of course Samba for File and Printer serving).

>Unfortunately NDS Corporate Edition for Linux and Zenworks for Desktops is only really supported on a Redhat Linux 6.1 or
6.2 platform. It works well on a Redhat platform. I've done a little bit of tinkering with the install shell script supplied by Novell on
my Debian server but bomb out half way through. I can't say that I'm experienced enough with these sorts of things to be able
to work my way through to a solution. Is there anyone out there that would be interested in helping me get the product to work
in a Debian Linux environment. I'm sure there are others out there that would be interested in our results.

>Obviously this software from Novell is not free. I have a trial version and with a little bit of help from Novell we might be able to
make it work on the best Linux distribution. More than happy to forward the 9MB file to anyone who wants to help.