Re: SSH permission problems (RESOLVED)

    EB>  On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 07:22:56PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
    EB>  just a thought, is the original posters home directory on an
    EB> NFS mount from a root_squash export?  in this case the files
    EB> would have to be world readable...
    EB>
    EB> though root_squash on /home exports is worthless IMO.  mounting
    EB> it nosuid,nodev is a better option.

My home directory isn't NFS mounted, it resides on a partition on the
local HD. I was able to get my perm problems fixed. I think it was the
perms on my home dir (/home/ssahmed) that were causing problems.

As things stand right now, I have the following permissions:

on /home/ssahmed:

rwxr-sr-x   21 ssahmed  ssahmed  4096 Oct 27 11:41 /home/ssahmed/

on /home/ssahmed/.ssh:

rwx------    2 ssahmed  ssahmed  4096 Oct 26 18:25 /home/ssahmed/.ssh/

under /home/ssahmed/.ssh:

rwx------    2 ssahmed  ssahmed  4096 Oct 26 18:25 ./
drwxr-sr-x  21 ssahmed  ssahmed  4096 Oct 27 11:41 ../
-rw-------   1 ssahmed  ssahmed   938 Oct 26 18:26 authorized_keys2
-rw-------   1 ssahmed  ssahmed   530 Oct 26 18:25 identity
-rw-------   1 ssahmed  ssahmed   334 Oct 26 18:25 identity.pub

and with these permissions in place, DSA authentication is working well
again. I'll be more careful next time I decide to chmod -R in my home
directory!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com