Re: I/O to ZIP drive temporarily locks up machine

There are those who would have you believe that Krzys Majewski wrote:
> Krzys Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:
>
> > Hm, I compiled parallel port support as a module. I already had
> >
> > options parport_pc io=0x3bc irq=7
> >
> > in my /etc/modutils/options, so I appended "dma=3" to give
> >
> > options parport_pc io=0x3bc irq=7 dma=3
> >
> > Now I can modprobe parport_pc, but when I try to modprobe imm I get:
> >
> > 17:52:05<~>$ sudo modprobe imm
> > /lib/modules/2.2.17/scsi/imm.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> > Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> > /lib/modules/2.2.17/scsi/imm.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.17/scsi/imm.o failed
> > /lib/modules/2.2.17/scsi/imm.o: insmod imm failed
> > 17:52:09<~>$
> >
> > I don't  see any imm  options in my  /etc/modutils. How do I  find out
> > what parameters  the imm  module takes? Does  it need  any parameters?
> > What's going on? -chris
> >

> OK,  looks like  I  got things  to  work by  taking  out the  io=0x3bc
> parameter in the  parport_pc options. But, I'm doing  a backup now and
> it's still doing weird things  to my machine. For example, I'm playing
> a streaming  mp3 and  it's very choppy. I've  tried both the
> "ECP" and "ECP+EPP" options in the BIOS.

Your earlier post (where you included the output from
/proc/parport/0/hardware) indicated that the port was using 0x378 for
the io port, so that might be why removing that parameter fixed the
problem with the module not loading.  The values have to agree with
what your hardware is expecting, so you might have to set the parallel
port's DMA to be 3 in your CMOS settings.

Have you tried using the ppa module instead of imm?  I'm not sure what
the difference is, except that ppa is for "older" zip drives, and imm
for the "newer" ones.  You might get better results.

I found this in the README.ppa from the kernel source, maybe it'll
help:

-------- Terse where to get ZIP Drive help info --------

General Iomega ZIP drive page for Linux:
http://www.torque.net/~campbell/

Driver achive for old drivers:
http://www.torque.net/~campbell/ppa/

Linux Parport page (parallel port)
http://www.torque.net/parport/

Email list for Linux Parport
linux-parport@torque.net

Email for problems with ZIP or ZIP Plus drivers
campbell@torque.net