Re: /boot files

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 09:41:01AM +0300, Petteri Heinonen wrote:
> Hello there.
> I'd like to know what is purpose of all those files in my /boot and if they
> are needed there or not. Files in my /boot are:
>
> System.map-2.2.15

symbol maps for kernel image 2.2.15, used mostly for debugging, but
some utilities may use them too (ps top iirc) there should be one of
these for each kernel you have installed (of differing versions anyway)

> boot.0300

backup copy of the MBR from /dev/hda, created by lilo.

> boot.0303

backup copy of the MBR from /dev/hda3, created by lilo.

> boot.b

lilo second stage bootstrap.

> bzImage

kernel image you installed yourself.  debian kernel-package names this
vmlinuz-X.Y.ZZ.

> chain.b

lilo chain loader, used to chain load a foreign OS's bootblock. (DOG,
BSD etc)

> config-2.2.15

the kernel config file for 2.2.15 kernel image.  this is the .config
created by make config|menuconfig|xconfig

> map

blocklists for image files lilo will boot.

> mbr.b

basic but functional MBR replacement, aka GRAVE SECURITY HOLD.  (go
look for a thread with that subject in debian-devel archives) ;-)

> os2_d.b

an older lilo chain loader, used for os/2 i believe.

> vmlinuz-2.2.15

the kenrel image that goes with the above config and System.map files.

> I know kernel files, but the rest are at least partial mystery to me. I
> think that .b files are different MBR images, but what about boot.0300 and
> boot.0303? And what is purpose of map file? When I made new kernel and
> modules (and modules_install), the map files was also made again. And one

see above.

> question about kernels: what if I want several kernels with same version
> number, how can I make them use a different directories for modules? And

add something to the EXTRAVERSION field in the main kernel Makefile.
this is used to create the preX suffixes on pre kernels, but unused on
proper releases.

> last: my new kernel works out just fine, except that when I try to load
> modules (ppp module for example), I get many 'unresolved symbol' lines. What
> should I do to help this, kernel-howto doesn't say anything about this.

sounds like modules not matching the installed kernel, when installing
a new kernel over an existing kernel of the same version you should
move /lib/modules/`uname -r` out of the way, otherwise some modules
will be left that don't match the new kernel.  other then that try
running depmod -a.  also use kernel-package to create kernel .deb
images, this makes things much simpler and prevents some screwups.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/