/boot files

Hello there.
I'd like to know what is purpose of all those files in my /boot and if they
are needed there or not. Files in my /boot are:

System.map-2.2.15
boot.0300
boot.0303
boot.b
bzImage
chain.b
config-2.2.15
map
mbr.b
os2_d.b
vmlinuz-2.2.15

I know kernel files, but the rest are at least partial mystery to me. I
think that .b files are different MBR images, but what about boot.0300 and
boot.0303? And what is purpose of map file? When I made new kernel and
modules (and modules_install), the map files was also made again. And one
question about kernels: what if I want several kernels with same version
number, how can I make them use a different directories for modules? And
last: my new kernel works out just fine, except that when I try to load
modules (ppp module for example), I get many 'unresolved symbol' lines. What
should I do to help this, kernel-howto doesn't say anything about this.

thanks in advance,

Petteri Heinonen
email: h157056@cs.tut.fi
tel.:  +358 (0)50 3363 286