Re: Using old libstdc library

Craig Law wrote:

> Ben/David,
>
> I've done as you both said and have only found libstdc++2.10 and
> libstdc++2.10-dev packages on my CD. I've have searched the whole
> of the Debian 2.2 CD that I have and there is definitely no
> libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1_2.91.66-4.deb package anywhere. Is it
> possible I have a different Potato version? I have searched the
> Debian site for the above package and I have found it in
> the /oldlibs area.

The CD distribution of Debian 2.2 is actually four CD's.  All the most
commonly needed stuff is on the first CD, and it sounds like you just
have the first CD.

> I have since done an apt-get install libstdc++2.9 and the package
> installed OK without removing any other packages. I guess my concern
> is "will I break anything by doing so".

That certainly wouldn't break anything, but I'm surprised that it
worked, there is a libstdc++2.8, a libstdc++2.10, but the libstdc++2.9
package is actually named libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1, so the command that
should have done it would have been "apt-get install
libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1".  Most libraries are set up so you can have
multiple versions installed, to allow software pick the version closest
to what it was compiled for.  I would expect there to be no conflicts or
breakage.

If apt or dpkg even gets the hint that it might break something, it lets
you know with all sorts of warnings and confirmation requests.  As long
as you didn't --force your way through a pile of error messages while
installing, you should be fine.

> The server seems to be functioning OK and I've been able to load
> the Novell software I set out to accomplish.

That, of course, it the bottom line, it worked.  I'm glad to hear that
you are up and running.

> Any advice would be appreciated.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy your computer :-)

-Gleef