Infrared hardware

I'm interested in getting an infrared device for my desktop Linux box at
home.  My requirements are that I must be able to control my VCR & Dish
Network satellite receiver and it must be able to receive commands from the
remote.  Using it to sync with my palm would be nice, but it's really the
control of the VCR & Satellite that I'm interested in...

I've looked at IRMAN, but that's a receiver only.  I'd like to be able to
use my linux box to control my video taping.  My satellite receiver has no
"timer" functions and my Sony VCR's "cable mouse" doesn't know how to
control the satellite.

Price, of course, is a consideration (but so are additional features).
Anything from a simple serial port dongle to a TV card would be considered.
It absolutely must work under Linux (currently Potato w/kernel 2.2.15, but
that can be upgraded as needed).

rgds-- TA  (tallard@frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.