RE: Basic Kernel Question

On 25-Oct-2000 Jay Kelly wrote:
> Hello All,
> I keep running into a problem everytime I upgrade my kernel. Before I
> upgrade I can place a floppy into the drive and type mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
> with no errors. After the upgrade I do the same command I get an error about
> needing to specifiy the file format. What am I missing when I upgrade my
> kernel.

you should do mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy.  Replace vfat with whatever
format your floppy is in -- minix, ext2, msdos, etc.

There is a auto option you can place in /etc/fstab for the floppy device.
However for that to work you need to either a) compile support for the common
file systems into the kernel or b) auto load all of those modules at boot.