Basic Kernel Question

Hello All,
I keep running into a problem everytime I upgrade my kernel. Before I
upgrade I can place a floppy into the drive and type mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
with no errors. After the upgrade I do the same command I get an error about
needing to specifiy the file format. What am I missing when I upgrade my
kernel. Also I would like to add a basic firewall to just protect itself. I
dont need ipmasq I just want to close all ports except one. What will I need
to add to the kernel?
Thanks everybody