Re: Voodoo 3 2000

Colin Watson wrote:
> Juergen Fiedler <juergen@fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> >The first time I tried to install Debian on that machine, I installed
> >the base system from floppies. Then, when I tried to install X by
> >issuing an 'apt-get install task-x-window-system', I got an internal
> >error after downloading the necessary files (if I was still  at a
> >download speed <=56K, the machine wouldn't be in one piece anymore,
> >making my question moot). I think I'll obtain a CD and try again.
>
> OK, annoying, but still nothing to do with the card :-)

As for the initial debian install - I had the same problems as
Juergen.
After using dselect again and insuring no broken dependancies, Xfree
setup worked reliable (in case of my ATI 128) and the server appears
to be very fast. The videocard chip is recognized by the server.

> >But say, don't you have to specify the card you want to use when you
> >set the X system up? Or did Debian autoprobe your Voodoo card? If you
> >actually had to specify a card, which one did you pick?
>
> Haven't a clue, I'm afraid. I got my Voodoo card long after installing
> Debian, and judging from /etc/X11/XF86Config I just re-ran xf86config. I
> have the following Device section:
>
>   # Device configured by xf86config:
>
>   Section "Device"
>       Identifier  "Voodoo3 (generic)"
>       VendorName  "3dfx"
>       BoardName   "Voodoo3 2000"
>       #VideoRam    16384
>       # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
>   EndSection
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                     [cjw44@flatline.org.uk]
Are you talking about Xfree 3.3.x?
People buying VooDoo cards usualy intend to play games :) and may want
to use OpenGL

Robert