Re: deb package documentation

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 11:26:04PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 11:42:05AM -0700, Stephen nyc wrote:
> > I'm actually looking for the installation and
> > configuration documentation in the package ipmasq.deb.
> > I want to have it read and noted before I even try to
> > install debian and set it up.
>
> i've had occasion to wish i could've read the package documents
> BEFORE downloading and installing, as well. afaict, debian.org
> doesn't accomodate that.

You can always download the deb file, and then issue
the following command

dpkg-deb -x <package-name>.deb <target-dir>

For example, to look at the contents of my latest
version of bash:

dpkg-deb -x bash_2.04-7_i386.deb /tmp

which will create a /tmp/bin, /tmp/usr, and /tmp/etc
which then in turn contains all of the files and
directories in the bash deb. Other options inside
depkg-deb will give you access to individual files
and packing lists for the deb.