ftp - installation by newbie

Hi
I am sorry that I am not responding, the correct way but I read tour
mail in a beta-Linux where the mail is flaky. So here is my way:

On a partition called /dev/hdb6, named /mnt/bettan/, I have a root
directory called debian. From
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/idepci/
I download three files. These files match my computer set up, check the
alternative compact.
driver-1.bin
rescue.bin
root.bin
In the same directory I copy the file base2_2.tgz, to be found two steps
up in current.
I make three floppies through.
dd if=root.bin of=/dev/fd0, where you change the input file name.

Then I restart the computer with rescue.bin in the floppy drive and when
asked I put in the root.bin disk.
The dialogs are pretty obvious if you understand that initiate means
format. You have to mount the partition /dev/hdb6 as bettan. When later
asked where the base is, the debian mounting rule is:
/target/bettan/debian, this you may find if you read the fstab which is
one option.

I recommend that you fill in as many sources as possible, when you are
asked to set up apt. One night when the traffic was very heavy on
ftp.sunet, getting 3kB/s, I restated the installation and put http first
and got 156kB/s as an average.

regards
guran