Re: telnet doesn't find localhost

> :: Michael P Soulier writes:
>
> >     I have a /etc/init.d/network script on my potato box with these commands:
>
> > #! /bin/sh
> > ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> > route add -net 127.0.0.0
>
> Hm, I did
>
> socrates:/home/jeronimo#  ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> socrates:/home/jeronimo#  route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
>
> And still it didn't work.
>
> But in my /etc/init.d/network, I had only the first line.

The last versions add a reasonable route automatically one you have
the interface up and running. You can test for it asking to visualize
the route just after (manually) running ifconfig. Most probably, the
route is already there. If you, then add another route, you get into
troubles; two route _are_ legal, but mean something different (see
kernel option equal cost multipath). You most probably don't want
this. So make sure you only have one.

HTH

--
Christoph Simon