Re: removing packages: apt-get <--> dpkg

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 03:14:07AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

> none (afaik), except that pre-invoke and post-invoke commands in
> /etc/apt/apt.conf are run when you use apt.
>
> this is useful if you keep /usr mounted readonly and have pre/post
> invoke commands to mount it read-write when needed and back to
> read-only when done.  if /usr is read-only dpkg --purge or dpkg -r
> will fail, but apt-get remove or apt-get --purge remove will succeed.

    I've had apt-get remove pull more than one package before to satisfy
dependencies. I figured that was the point.

    ie. I was removing package A which was required for package B, so it
offered to remove both A and B.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX